What’s better than taking songs that your students already know and enjoy in English and listening to the Spanish version? Your students will be fascinated listening to the Spanish version of Taylor Swift’s Shake it Off or other current popular songs.
The best part is that they have previous knowledge of the song, so the song is comprehensible. Although, it can also be a discussion of how the song is not a 100% word for word translation.
Kevin, Karla and la Banda are the most successful artists who translate English hits into Spanish. Check out their Spanish cover versions of Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Selena Gomez, Katy Perry, and more!
Listen to the Spanish version of Look what you made me do
Create a cloze activity of this song using these lyrics.
Our Favorite English songs in Spanish:
- Call me Maybe (Carly Rae Jepsen) by Kevin y Karla
- Story of My Life (One Direction) by Kevin y Karla
- Just the Way You Are (Bruno Mars) by Dani Ride*
- Photograph (Ed Sheeran) by Dani Ride*
- Let Her Go (Passenger) by Dani Ride*
- See You Again (Wiz Khalifa) by Kevin y Karla
- Irreplaceable [Irreemplazable] (Beyonce) by BEYONCÉ
- If I was a Boy [Si fuera un chico] (Beyonce) by BEYONCÉ
- Will you Still Love me Tomorrow by Leslie Grace
- Rolling in the Deep (Adele) by Isabella Nian
Sometimes the videos disappear, so just do a search on youtube of the title plus “Spanish” or “Spanish cover”
We’ve put together a playlist of Spanish Covers of English Songs on youtube.
Have these songs go head-to-head in a Music Tournament where students vote for their favorite to advance.
Add your favorite Spanish version song in the comments!