We are always looking for authentic resources to use in our lessons. Right now, instagram is the social media of choice for students. We found an instagram full of authentic quotes that pertain to students, especially regarding school. What a great way for kids to read authentic texts and be engaged.
Ways Instagram could be incorporated in foreign language class:1. Print the image and make a bulletin board.
2. Insert the images into a powerpoint. Go over in class, or print out handouts and have students read them.
3. Post image to class IG account (or blog or edmodo) and have students comment.
4. Have the students create their own images using an app such as PicCollage or a website like RedKid Sign Generator.
5. Have students search on instagram for vocabulary words and have them comment with a common hashtag that the class can see if they look up that hashtag.
6. You can also use these images as part of your vocabulary. Students don’t need to study the grammar concept to be able to figure these out.
Here’s two more ideas with ways that Spanish teachers are using Instagram in their classroom:
1. Caption their own fotos in Spanish and have a conversation.
2. Desafio Instagram: Instagram ELE Challenge, where students use particular hashtags.
Without further ado, we present our favorite, classroom appropriate images from queboletaoficial, an account managed by a group of teenagers from Colombia. If you know other similar accounts, please let us know in the comments.
For a ready to use lesson, check out this product on TpT: